gpsVP is full-featured GPS navigations software. Supports waypoints, tracks, multiple monitors. Compatible with maps for Garmin navigators. Freely available maps cover all the world with good detail for many countries.
Main display shows the following items:
* Some portion of maps loaded int- program
* Cross indicating the centre of map (if turned on)
* Three or four monitors on bottom or right edge (if turned on)
* Big black point for current position (is GPS receiver determined location)
* Satellite icon indicating status of GPS receiver. With red minus when n- connection is present, blue question mark when connection is present by location is not determined and green plus when location is determined
* Current polyline (usually road) name on top edge of scree (if turned on)
* Waypoint earlier marked by user
* Track recorded during current session
* Tracks explicitly loaded by used
In monitors mode display shows only monitors. But many of them.
You can select low light mode t- use your device in darkness.
gpsVP works with maps in Garmin MapSource format. Although the format was developed by Garmin, free maps in this format are usually produced with cgpsmapper. gpsVP opens several maps and then chooses maps t- display based on current position scale and selected detail level.
gpsVP records a track always when GPS receiver determines location. Track recorded since the program was last started is shown on screen. Recorded tracks are written t- card. Each session is written int- separate file. Please notice that the files are not deleted automatically. Its up t- you t- choose location with enough space and delete old tracks. Only one track format is supported. Its OziExplorers plt.
You can als- set minimum track step t- preserve card space and memory. When its set, the next point is added t- track only when it differs from previous more than the step.
There are several ways t- use the tracks. You can use the tracks t- ...
* ... mark some places on your map after you left them.
* ... show you way t- your friends.
* ... geocode your photos.
* ... update maps or send your tracks y- people wh- develop free maps.
By the way I have a project where I accept any tracks, process them and share with map developers. You are welcome t- send me your tracks or visit the site of the project (only in Russian yet).
Monitors are small rectangle areas showing some information. Every monitor has a header indicating what this monitor shows. Here is the complete list of them:
* GPS time
* Max speed
* Od- 1
* Od- 2
* Od- total
* Pause timer
gpsVP allows user mark any location with a flag. Such waypoint als- has title typed in by user, altitude if it was available while marking the place and proximity radius. Setting proximity radius allows the program warn you with a sound when approaching t- the point.
Waypoint are saved t- card in OziExplorers format (wpt). You can copy this file or add some points t- it using any software on you computer.
gpsVP supports simple navigation. You can select any location and tell the program that you are going there. After that it begins t- show you direction t- the point. Distance monitors shows distance from current location t- the point. Navigation only works when GPS receiver is connected and determined location.
GPS receiver can be connected via BlueTooth. First you need t- connect your smartphone t- COM port profile of your device. After that you need t- select the port youve connected t- your device in Menu->Setup->Settings dialog.
GPS connection modes
In (Menu->GPS->Connect period) submenu you can change GPS connection from permanent t- periodical and set connect period. In such mode gpsVP connects t- GPS receiver for several seconds, receives information and then disconnect for selected time. Such mode produces irregular track but may be useful in tw- cases. First of all it greatly decreses GPS receiver power consumption s- it can operate much longer. Secondly it allows several smartphones connect t- one receiver at the same time.
Every operation you can perform with gpsVP is available from menu. T- speed up operation you can assign any action t- almost any key. By default assignment is the following:
* joystick left, right, up, down - move map or monitor selection left, up, right or down
* joystick press - context menu
* 1/2 - zoom in/out
* 3 - switch between main display and monitors mode
* 4/5 - increase/decrease detail
* 6 - switch fullscreen mode
* 7/8 - move monitor bar selection up/down
* 9 - show/hide monitors bar in main display
* * - new waypoint
* 0 - stop navigating
* # - navigate one of recent destinations
Menu has the following structure:
- Map list
- Open map
- Open track
- Track list
- Start new track
- Set track folder
- Open waypoints file
- Add waypoint
- Waypoints list
- Navigate recent
- Stop navigating
+ Zoom in
+ Zoom out
+ Follow cursor
+ Decrease detail
+ Increase detail
+ Set lowest detail
+ Set low detail
+ Set normal detail
+ Set high detail
+ Set highest detail
- Monitor bar
+ Previous monitors row
+ Next monitors row
+ Show monitors bar
- Open color settings
- Next color scheme
- Monitors mode
- Show road name
- Full screen
- Show center
- Low light
- Connect period
+ 1 minute
+ 2 minutes
+ 4 minutes
+ 9 minutes
- Connect GPS
- Register file types
- Keep backlight
- Keep memory low
* Context menu